Monday, February 13, 2012

Week 23 & viable!!

I went in for an ultrasound and doctor visit again today.  The babies look great!  Baby A had his hand in his mouth while she tried to get a profile picture.  Baby A is still breech and Baby B is still head-down, getting kicked in the head by his brother!  Their head circumference was about 22.5 cm and diameter about 6.26cm.  Their weights are approximately:  Baby A = 1 lb. 12 oz. and Baby B = 1 lb. 9 oz.   Right in the middle of the ultrasound I started feeling incredibly hot.  Sweat started pouring off my face and I started feeling nausea.  I didn't know what was going on, but I was worried.  When I couldn't take it anymore, I finally told the technician.  She had me sit up and I started feeling like I was blacking out.  I felt better about 5 minutes after I sat up.  The nurse told me that that is common when you lay on your back.  The weight of the babies is on your vena cava (?) artery and cuts off your blood/oxygen supply.  Yikes!

My cervical measurement was between 1.9 cm and 2.4 cm.  Still way in the danger zone.  The babies are days away from being 24 weeks along, so they are viable if there were to be born early.  I feel a bit less stress having made it to this point, but I certainly don't want them born this early!!  The doctor is going to start me on a vaginal progesterone.  It has been proven to help stop premature births in singleton pregnancies.  There is no data on twin pregnancies, but it won't hurt.  I will get my cervix measured again next week and the week after.  They will make decisions about putting me on modified bedrest based on the measurements.  If my cervix gets worse, they will start steriod shots to speed up the babies' lung development in case they are born prematurely.

I now weigh 169 pounds.  My middle belly measurement is 41 inches.  Two friends of mine who have had twin boy pregnancies reached measurements of 54 and 56 inches.  Holy moly!  I'm scared of that!!  I turned in my letter to the school to start my maternity leave on May 23rd, the day before my scheduled c-section. Of course, I'll probably be out way before then, but that just takes a doctor note and I'll be able to use my sick days.

Yay for viability!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment